Sr. Backend Engineer (Java)
What is CleverTap?
CleverTap delivers over 10 billion interactions everyday across our AI-powered customer engagement and retention platform that enables digital enterprises to dramatically improve mobile user retention and conversion rates through behavioral insights, predictive segmentation, user experience optimization, and fully automated campaign orchestration.
CleverTap is the leading customer engagement and retention platform that helps brands maximize user lifetime value. Consumer brands around the world representing over 10,000 apps—including Gojek, Sony, Vodafone, Carousell, and Cleartrip—trust CleverTap to help them improve user engagement and retention thereby growing long term revenue. CleverTap is backed by leading venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Tiger Global Management, Accel, and Recruit Holdings, and is headquartered in Mountain View, California with offices in Amsterdam, Singapore, Dubai, and Mumbai.
CleverTap has been named Forbes’ Best Startup Employer in America for 2 years in a row (2020 and 2021). For more information, visit clevertap.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
CleverTap's software engineers work in a dynamic, highly-analytical environment and develop a highly scalable next-generation user engagement and retention platform. Our platform handles data + information at a massive scale and utilises this data to provide insights + actionable items for our customers. Our engineers can choose to work on their technical passion for 20% of the time.
Position: Senior Backend Engineer
We are looking for an engineering mindset which brings fresh ideas from various areas, including large-scale platform design, analytics, data structures, security practices, large-scale data retrieval and processing environments.As a Backend Engineer, you will be working closely with product managers, QA engineers, and designers, software engineers, and will be responsible for designing, building, deploying and scaling various products under the umbrella of CleverTap Platform.
- Understand the functional and nonfunctional requirements, specifications and drive the story development by working with the team member
- Design and develop highly scalable, highly available, reliable, secure and fault tolerant systems with minimal guidance
- Adhere to the system design philosophy and goals and bring improvements to the code quality across platform
- Collaborate with cross functional teams (Product, Design, Data Science, SDK, Frontend developers, QA) on planning and execution to achieve delivery/output and seamless integrations with interdependent systems
- Build reusable code and libraries and follow high code standards, unit-testing and automated test coverage
- Own the entire lifecycle of feature development, test, deployment, fixes and improvements
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science from premier institute with top grades or equivalent practical experience
- 4 - 6 years of experience in back-end development (Designing, developing, testing and deploying large scale applications with one of the JVM languages or other server side technologies)
- Must be proficient in Java, J2EE, Databases, Struts, etc.
- Strong fundamentals in Data Structures, Algorithms and System Design, OOP, Design patterns etc.
- Strong programming concepts(Object oriented programming concept, design patterns etc.)
- Able to understand and implement CI/CD (Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery)
- Sound knowledge of Agile methodologies,TDD and automation
- Endless curiosity and ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Has prior excellent and demonstrable engineering track record
- Must be familiar with RESTful APIs and able to design and implement low latency services
- Excellent troubleshooting skills - memory leaks, GC tuning
Measure of Success:
- Writing quality and bug free code adhering to the functional and nonfunctional requirements
- Follow standard practices (Unit Tests, Reduce technical debt, Code Coverage, Integration Test, etc)
- Reports to: Manager Backend Engineer
- Direct reports: None
- Functional Competencies: Programming, system design and analysis, data structures and algorithms, Agile development
- Behavioral Competencies: Analytical problem solving, attention to details, teamwork and collaboration
Why join us?
- You are ready for your next challenge
- You want to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where your contribution matters
- You are passionate about technology and its impact on the high growth mobile marketing space
- Scale and fast paced delivery + learning opportunities
What is working at CleverTap like?
- Work, performance and results are real sources of happiness in addition to the fun of working with and celebrating success with an exceptionally talented team
- Hierarchy is a myth, merit is lauded
- Seamlessly shift from working on MacBook to discussing "insert fav book name" over a drink
- Accountability and driving outcomes is the key to success
- Your career here is limited by you and nothing else
- Teamwork trumps individual success