Director of Engineering
What is CleverTap?
CleverTap empowers digital brands to increase customer retention and lifetime value with the help of data, personalization, deep-tech, and automation. We work with thousands of brands globally, including Dream 11, Dunzo, Lenskart, Zomato, Pharmeasy, MX Player, Premier League, and GO-JEK.
CleverTap customers leverage Data, AI, and Machine Learning for behavioral insights, predictive segmentation, user experience optimization, and fully automated campaign orchestration. The platform ingests ~15 billion user interactions daily and sends out about 2 billion message notifications each day on behalf of its customers. Our patent-pending technology was invented to solve for scale, speed, and security. You can follow our tech blog here - https://tech.clevertap.com/.
CleverTap is backed by Sequoia Capital, Accel, and Tiger Global. Headquartered in Mountain View, US, our 350+ CTzens work out of Mumbai, Singapore, Dubai, and other locations globally. We’re one of the fastest-growing SaaS startups in the marketing technology space.
CleverTap is Great Place to Work-Certified™ and has been named Forbes’ Best Startup Employer in America for 2 years in a row - 2020 and 2021. For more information, visit clevertap.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
CleverTap's software engineers work collaboratively in a dynamic, highly-technical environment to develop a highly scalable next-generation user engagement and retention platform.
Position: Director of Engineering
We are looking for an engineering mindset that brings fresh ideas from various areas, including large-scale platform design, analytics, data structures, security practices, large-scale data retrieval, and processing environments.
As a Director of Engineering, you will be working closely with product managers, QA engineers, designers, software engineers, and will be responsible for designing, leading, building, deploying, and scaling various products under the umbrella of CleverTap Platform.
You will help in defining and steer the long-term engineering roadmap, quarterly OKRs, and strategic initiatives to ensure the engineering teams help to achieve the business goals.
- Build, lead, coach, and inspire a high-performing, mission-driven engineering team
- Help in defining and steer the long term engineering roadmap, quarterly OKRs, and strategic initiatives to ensure the engineering teams help to achieve the business goals
- Design and deliver highly scalable, highly available, reliable, secure, and fault-tolerant systems by working with the team
- Adhere to the system design philosophy and goals and bring improvements to the code quality across the platform
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product, Design, Data Science, SDK, Frontend developers, QA) on planning and execution to achieve delivery/output and seamless integrations with interdependent systems
- Influence peers, stakeholders, and key executives through the use of data and logic
- Own key results for your problem area, customer satisfaction, usability, on-time releases, and other critical metrics
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and guidance to the team of engineers/ developers in proactive solutions to business issues.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science from premier institute with top grades or equivalent practical experience
- 7-10 years of experience in platform development (Designing, developing, testing, and deploying large scale applications with one of the JVM languages or other server-side technologies and frontend technologies)
- Sound experience of managing, mentoring, and leading team(s) with at least 1 year of people leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience with solving hard customer and business problems at scale
- Passion for leading and developing direct reports; coaching & mentoring them towards improving professional skill sets; ability to lead and influence direct reports
- Sound knowledge of Agile methodologies, TDD and automation
- Comfortable with a high paced and distributed environment
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills focused on improving collaboration, knowledge/ information exchange across all stakeholders.
- Listening, influencing skills and the ability to convey important messages in a clear and compelling manner.
Measures of Success:
- Lead and manage team(s) to deliver quality and bug-free code adhering to the functional and non-functional requirements
- Follow and define standard practices (Release management, Unit Tests, Reduce technical debt, Code Coverage, Integration Test, etc) and ensure that the team follows them
- Active participation in Blogging and Conferences
- Reports to: VP of Engineering
- Direct reports: Engineering delivery team(s)
- Functional Competencies: Programming, system design, and analysis, data structures and algorithms, Agile development, Scalable System architecture
- Behavioral Competencies: Analytical problem solving, attention to detail, Mentorship, Team Management
Why join us?
- Be a part of a global growth-stage startup
- Work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where your contribution matters
- You are passionate about technology and its impact on the high growth mobile technology space
- Innovate at scale, with learning opportunities
What is working at CleverTap like?
- Work, performance, and results are real sources of happiness in addition to the fun of working with and celebrating success with an exceptionally talented team
- Accountability and driving outcomes is the key to success
- Your career here is limited by you and nothing else
- Teamwork trumps individual success